Thank you to Johanna Lee (email@example.com) and Brigid Finucane for helping put together this fun activity!
Concept: Sequencing, Cause and Effect, Handwriting
1. Scrap Paper
4. Measuring Cup, Bucket, Large Bowl, Colander or Strainer
5. Wildflower seeds
6. Heart Shaped Cookie Cutters, or Heart Shaped Paper forms,
7. Blanket or Towel
• 1. Tear paper into small pieces, separate colors so you have warm and cool colors together with the white paper, i.e. cool: green, purple, blue, warm: red, orange, yellow.
If you put all color together your paper will be brown!
• 2. Place 2 cups of torn paper in the bucket and cover with hot water, allow to sit 30 minutes or longer. Scoop wet paper into the blender and blend until smooth.
• 3. Pour the blended the paper into a bowl and sprinkle with wildflower seeds and stir.
• 4. Pour the seeded paper pulp into a colander and press out the water.
• 5. Press paper pulp into the heart form. Forms need to be placed on a towel. The pulp
needs to be left to dry out. The forms can be removed carefully.
• 6. Sing Planting Seeds of Love and have the children write the word LOVE or another quality word
on their seed paper heart.
• 7. The seed hearts can be planted in potting soil or in a Planting Seeds of Love flower bed covered with
Second and Third Grade Alternatives
• Second and third graders can make paper on screens and then cut the heart. This will
require a screen and wax paper and 2 dishpans.
• Step 3, paper is poured into a dishpan and water is added to make the pulp runny.
• Step 4, the screen is dipped into the pulp and and then place a piece of wax paper over the pulp and press with a sponge to remove the excess water.
• Step 5, Remove the wax paper and invert screen onto a towel, press the paper fibers into the towel, couching the fibers and gently lift the screen. It will tear if it is too wet.
• YouTube: Preschoolers Making Seed Paper by Jackie Saggio *Paper pulp can be used
instead of foam just squeeze out the water so it is solid, then add the tissue and water and
• YouTube: Paper Making At Home by Roger Wilk. This includes a paper press but it is not necessary. Just do not forget to add the Wildflower seeds and cut into a heart.
• Ready made seed paper @ http://www.botanicalpaperworks.com/catalog/seed-paper.
Same as above in JPG format